Last week was a busy one! I had my first official TV appearance on WCAX, which was scary, but awesome. And the Flying Pig Bookstore in Shelburne hosted my launch event for No Safety in Numbers! Thank you to everyone who came out, and thanks especially to Josie Leavitt and everyone at the Flying Pig for hosting.
If you missed the event and want a signed copy of the book, there are copies at the Flying Pig. Unfortunately, I ate all the leftover No Safety in Numbers cupcakes. They were delicious. I am not telling just how many cupcakes I ate.
I meant to share my unofficial No Safety in Numbers playlist before the launch, but alas, time slipped away from me. But I have a free moment to blog now, so here it is! With notes (I’ll try not to give away any spoilers)!
I’ve divided the book into four sections, with one song for each character in each section, plus one bonus song, like what plays over the credits at the end of a movie. If you want to download any of the songs or the whole playlist, I’ve published the playlist on iTunes!
No Safety in Numbers – The Unofficial Playlist
- “Lonely Boy,” by The Black Keys (Marco—a running song)
- “Free My Mind,” by Katie Herzig (Lexi—feels very Lexi to me, as it’s full of electronic beats and is about reaching beyond where you are)
- “Move Along,” by The All-American Rejects (Ryan—represents Ryan’s whole attitude at the beginning of the trilogy)
- “Black & White,” by Sarah McLachlan (Shay—“and all I feel is black and white/and I’m wound up small and tight/and I don’t know who I am”…that about sums up where she is at the beginning:)
- “Stupid Girls,” by Pink (Lexi—captures how she feels outside the Abercrombie)
- “Falling is Like This,” by Ani DiFranco (Shay—what I (and Ani) think first love feels like)
- “Thanks for Nothing,” by The Downtown Fiction (Marco—it hurts when someone breaks your heart, but Marco would never show that kind of weakness)
- “Car Crash,” by Matt Nathanson (Ryan—what he feels for Shay)
- “Russian Roulette,” by Rihanna (Lexi—it’s hard to play it safe when everything feels dangerous)
- “Boee (Come to Me),” by Idan Raichel (Shay—this song, which is in Hebrew among other languages, is about luring someone to you)
- “Underneath the Sycamore,” by Death Cab for Cutie (Marco—it’s nice when you get what you want)
- “Everything in Its Right Place,” by Radiohead (Ryan—all is not well)
- “Precious Things,” by Tori Amos (Shay—the music of anxiety and pain)
- “Every Teardrop is a Waterfall,” by Coldplay (Ryan—this just sounds right for that last scene)
- “Pumped Up Kicks,” by Foster the People (Marco—where he ends up)
- “Have You Got It In You?” by Imogen Heap (Lexi—the question she’ll have to keep asking herself)
- “Let It Rock,” by Kevin Rudolf (if you ignore the lyrics, this song feels exactly how I feel when I get to the end of the book)
I received an email from a reader telling me that she had the song “Feel So Close,” by Calvin Harris running through her mind as she read No Safety. Unfortunately, I had never heard the song before she mentioned it. I think it’s awesome! No doubt, it will make an appearance on the playlist for Book 2.
What songs are on your No Safety playlist?
Most Recent Book: Birds of a Lesser Paradise by my friend, Megan Mayhew Bergman (SO AWESOME LOVE IT READ IT)
Most Recent TV Show: Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (It’s my go-to relaxation show of late)
Most Recent Movie: Brave (I was hoping for something more than what Pixar gave me)
Most Recent Song: “Feel so Close” by Calvin Harris (Thanks, Grace, for the rec!)
Hi Dayna, How would I find the playlist on i-tunes?
I just had the hardest time myself trying to find it! But I finally did, and here’s a link to it: https://c.itunes.apple.com/us/imix/no-safety-in-numbers/id541877106 The link will open iTunes and the playlist should appear! You should also be able to search for it within the store. When I typed “No Safety in Numbers” in the search bar just now, both the book and the playlist came up.
Hey Dayna, No Safety in Numbers was AMAZING I couldn’t put it down and completely enjoyed it. I love your playlist and am just wondering if you have any guess on when No easy Way Out would be coming out, Thanks and keep up the good work 😀
Hi Cristina! Thank you! I’m so thrilled to hear it! No Easy Way Out will be out next summer. I can’t wait to share it with you! 🙂