Yes! I would love to give you one! All you have to do is send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to this address:
P.O. Box 4525
Burlington, VT 05406-4525
Yay! I love getting fan mail! Thank you for writing to me!
My address is:
P.O. Box 4525
Burlington, VT 05406-4525
If you would like a response, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope (or “SASE”) along with your letter! You can also email me or leave me a message on Facebook or connect with me on Twitter or comment on one of my blogs.
There is one caveat: I can’t read your manuscript or story or pitch letter. I have some advice below for you, but for many reasons, some involving my already packed schedule and others involving laws and stuff, I can’t read your draft, though I’m sure it’s awesome!
And I want to see yours! All of my events and appearances are listed on my Events page. If you are interested in hosting an event with me, please email me through the form on my Contact page.
If I’m not coming to your area, talk to your teacher or local librarian about hosting me for an event at your school or library. Right now I am not traveling outside of Vermont, but I would love to do a virtual visit with you via Skype. Check my School Visits page for more information!
I would love to visit your school or library! Because I have kidlets of my own, though, I do not physically travel outside of Vermont except for book tours and conferences. But I would love to do a virtual visit with you via Skype. Check my School Visits page for more information!
Thank you for writing about me! Here are the facts, just the facts:
- Where did you grow up? Ridgewood, NJ
- When were you born? I am a pisces. That’s all you’re getting! ☺
- Where do you live now? Burlington, Vermont
- Do you have any pets? I have three pets! Two cats, Angus and Shadow, and a betta fish named Ember (who is actually my daughter’s class pet, so he’s more of a houseguest).
- Did you grow up with pets? Yes! Lots! Check out My Life in Dogs for all their stories!
- Do you have any siblings? One brother.
- Are you married? Yes!
- Where did you go to High School? Ridgewood High School in Ridgewood, NJ.
- Did you go to college? Yes! I went to Williams College in Williamstown, MA.
- Did you go to grad school? Yes! I have a law degree (J.D.) from Fordham University and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing and Literature from Bennington College in Bennington, VT.
Yes! As a grown-up, I had two of my own, both of whom have now passed away. Growing up, I had many other dogs. Check out My Life in Dogs for more information about my history with Canis lupus familiaris.
I have two cats! I love them. I had a guinea pig when I was eight! I loved her/him. (There was some initial confusion regarding Petunia’s sex, resolved later through an inadvertent reveal.) I love fish, but have trouble keeping them alive (As of this writing, Ember is still alive☺). And horses, oh how I love horses. I used to be a pretty mean horsewoman back in the day, but unfortunately don’t get to ride all that often now.
I’m so glad you asked! I love movies. I have seen a lot of them. My husband and I spend a lot of time watching and commenting on them like the two old guys from The Muppet Show. So I feel like this is a loaded question. I have no favorite overall…just many movies I admire. So here’s a weird list:
- Favorite movie to watch over and over again: Somewhere between Ghostbusters and When Harry Met Sally…
- Favorite Ingmar Bergman film: Persona
- Favorite Animated Film: Somewhere between Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind and Inside Out
- Favorite Action Film: The Fifth Element
- Favorite Movie Starring Katherine Hepburn: Holiday, though Bringing Up Baby and Philadelphia Story are amazing.
- Favorite Hitchcock Film: North by Northwest
- Favorite Stars Wars Film: I know you’re supposed to say Empire, but I love the original Star Wars.
- Favorite Movie I’ve Seen In Recent Years: The Hunt for Wilderpeople and Booksmart
- Favorite Movie From Childhood: Legend, though I also loved Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal, and also non-fantasy stuff like The Goonies, Weird Science, Better Off Dead, Say Anything, The Breakfast Club, and St. Elmo’s Fire. My girlfriends and I in fact sat around once casting ourselves in St. Elmo’s Fire. I ended up as the very troubled Demi Moore character. As a side note, in college, when my a cappella group did a Spice Girls number, I was Scary Spice…I feel a trend building here…
- Favorite Kurosawa Film: Throne of Blood
- Favorite Bond: I love Daniel Craig, but plot wise, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service is the most moving.
- Favorite Adam Sandler Film: 50 First Dates
- Favorite Movie Based on A Book: The Neverending Story and The Princess Bride
Did I answer your question? ☺
Giant squid are one of the last great mysteries on this planet. We humans have rarely ever seen one alive. We know very little about them. They live in the deepest, darkest strata of the ocean. They are the symbol of the subconscious, those murky depths from which we writers dredge our creativity. That, my friend, is what’s with the giant squid.
I like them. And they look cool. And they’re kind of a writerly thing. And I can draw them.
Keep writing! Every day! Join or start a local critique group! Send things out! Collect rejections, then revise, rework, reimagine, and send it out again!
For more on this, check out my Blog — there’s a whole section on Writing.
(If you want to hear my thoughts on some aspect of writing I haven’t covered yet, please email me and let me know what you’d like to hear about…☺)